Boys and Men of Color Initiative
The Urban Strategies Council is working to support our public systems and community partners to build a local, regional and statewide network of organizations and individuals committed to improving outcomes for Boys and Men of Color through effective programs and services, policy advocacy and systems reform. We are committed to improving health, education, employment and justice system outcomes of boys and men of color.
Our work, as outlined below, includes:
- The Oakland-Alameda County Alliance for Boys and Men of Color serving as leadership table for public and nonprofit organizations;
- The Oakland-Alameda County Opportunity Youth Initiative focusing on increasing education and career employment access;
- The BMoC Portfolio identifying policies, practices, and programs that improve the life outcomes for boys and men of color;
- The Culturally-Focused Manhood Development Initiative, a current project of the BMoC Portfolio focused on strengthening and scaling effective cultural/ethnic-focused male mentorship programs in schools;
- The African-American Male Achievement Initiative, a pioneering public institutional commitment in partnership with the Oakland Unified School District to improve educational outcomes for black males;
- Our Partnerships with the California Alliance for Boys and Men of Color and the Assembly Select Committee on the Status of Boys and Men of Color focusing on statewide policy and legislation to improve outcomes.