Graphic Design & Data Viz: Volunteer Role
One position available, open till filled.
Our Research & Technology program has won awards for innovation in mapping and for supporting the open source community in Oakland, we have a great team of researchers, GIS Analysts and writers. Our work is exciting, meaningful and dynamic, but we know we can communicate our data and results far better with the help of a creative graphic designer excited to develop their portfolio of infographics, data visualizations and dynamic web tools.
• Must be extremely proficient in InDesign/Illustrator CS4 or Inkscape
• Solid understanding of graphical communication styles and methods
• Must know Photoshop and be able to edit photos for print and web
• Must have an interest and growing skill in conceptualizing and designing infographics featuring education, crime, social, demographic, housing and other data with a focus on inequality
• Experience and interest in data visualization tools such as Tableau or Gelphi
• Able to work well with others and take direction
Benefits for you
- Respect, admiration and appreciation from a great team of researchers and analysts for your skills and contribution
- Opportunity to grow the skills and understanding of other staff- this is not a low level intern affair
- Not doing menial tasks because you’re an intern
- Experience a broad range of social justice and social impact work in Oakland and beyond
- Social, relaxed work environment
- Amazing warehouse of data to play with
POSITION TIME REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate is available 5-10 hours per week on a part time basis, for three to twelve months. Most work can be completed off-site at your pace. Coffee shop friendly gig.
This is an unpaid position; course credit arrangements are gladly negotiated.
To apply for this position, please submit an electronic cover letter indicating your interest, qualifications, and availability; and a resume to Steve Spiker. No phone calls please.
THE URBAN STRATEGIES COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER