One position available, open till filled.
The Research & Technology Program supports the work of all of the Council’s programs, our partners and the community at-large. We offer customized research, data analysis, program evaluation and mapping and GIS services as well as training in these areas. We also operate online data warehouses and mapping services and provide website and database design services. Our work focuses on opendata and opengov issues, the use of data in planning and decision making and increasing access to information technologies among residents and CBOs in low-income communities.
This position requires someone with a combination of training, skills and experience in applied geography, GIS, database development; and preferably web development, who possesses a desire to improve our local communities and to further their expertise in applied GIS.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Conduct spatial research and produce maps in such areas as demographics, housing, health, education, employment and economic development
• Construct and manage the Council’s spatial databases (Access, metadata, ArcSDE familiarity desired, relational database/SQL proficiency ideal)
• Create and maintain simple mapping website pages (Google Earth, Google Maps, ArcExplorer)
• Work with partners to maintain and expand the online data warehouses and mapping services (www.InfoAlamedaCounty.org)
• Develop data visualizations using automated, code driven methods such as Fusion Tables, Tableau, Processing and Gelphi.
• Develop data scrapers and code to automate extraction of data from various sources
POSITION TIME REQUIREMENTS
Part time, 7-15 hour work week for up to one year (We also take one summer GIS intern each year)
This is an unpaid internship, course credit arrangement is gladly negotiated.
To apply for the GIS Intern position in the Research & Technology program, please submit an electronic cover letter indicating your interest, qualifications, and availability; and a resume to Steve Spiker. No phone calls please.
THE URBAN STRATEGIES COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER